Author Topic: Suspension help  (Read 98 times)

Bigtel1977

• View Profile
Suspension help
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:30:54 PM »
Hi folks,

Could someone please tell me a rough measurement to cut off the rods on the hydragas units..I assume it's the knuckle joint you cut or am I being thick..!!.

Also how on earth do you remove the old knuckle joints as they seem well stuck in the top arms..?

Where can I buy new droop stops and do I need extended ones or will standard ones be ok..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

slw75

• View Profile
Re: Suspension help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 10:08:13 AM »
Hi Terry,
follow the link below for an explanation on modifying the suspension.  There is also a good post on MetroPower, if I can find that link I'll post as well.
Cheers,
Steve.

http://www.hydragas.co.uk/tech/lowering.html

Bigtel1977

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that...Stupid question but how the hell do I remove the knuckles from the upper arms..they are stuck in there solid.

Terry

slw75

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
Mmmm.  It all depends.  For the front displacers you may not need to remove the knuckle as you will be removing material from the displacer itself (the aluminium part that the knuckle sits in).  However if you are removing a significant amount then the knuckle may be too long and will require cutting down.  In this instance I would suggest you will have to remove the top arm to give yourself a fighting chance.  It sounds to me as though the knuckle is siezed in it's socket.

See below for the MetroPower thread:

http://www.metropower.info/how-to-guides/suspension/item/406-lowering-guide

Bigtel1977

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
Thanks Steve,

That's a really useful guide there..I am fitting new upper arms so they are off the car..I was hoping to use the old knuckles but they are stuck solid..

I really don't want to buy new ones as they are 50ish each..

Cheers, Terry